[clug] Simulating Network Delays on a Single Machine

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Fri Sep 11 00:12:13 UTC 2020

Hi Jeff

take a look at the netem tool -
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/networking/netem

adds a fixed amount of delay to all packets going out of the local
Ethernet.

 # tc qdisc add dev eth0 root netem delay 100ms

Real wide area networks show variability so it is possible to add random
variation.

 # tc qdisc change dev eth0 root netem delay 100ms 10ms

This causes the added delay to be 100ms ± 10ms. Network delay variation
isn't purely random, so to emulate that there is a correlation
<http://en.wikipedia.com/wiki/correlation> value as well.

 # tc qdisc change dev eth0 root netem delay 100ms 10ms 25%

Etc.

hope that helps.