[clug] Wireshark VOIP and Caller IP address

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 08:00:56 UTC 2020

There are several probems with VOIP/SIP.  One is that most VOIP/SIP protocols pass the IP numbers in the data part of the packets.
Two is there are sometimes several streams most often of UDP packets.  It is a really exasperating protocol suite.  It is quite hard
to work this out with wireshark.  Three is that if both parties are behind a NAT firewall, they can't talk directly anyway.

The only real way is to use a VOIP session border controller which is expensive.  Barring that you could set up a small asterisk
server which could do it but is expensive in time and patience to set up.

How much is the Telstra device?

I have this problem with my VOIP "landline".  I generally pick the phone up and listen.  If its spam they generally hang up.  I am
at the point of giving up the landline altogether.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant