[clug] I need help with KVM vitualization [SOLVED]

Brenton Ross rossb at fwi.net.au
Tue Jul 21 04:38:53 UTC 2020

When shutting down the host I usually manually shut down the VMs first.
This ensures that things get shut down in the correct order, servers
after their clients.

I have observed that shutting down the host will automatically shut
down to VMs. However, it can cause a rather long pause in the shut down
process, so I try to avoid that.

As for a crash out - I think it is pretty much the same for all VMs and
the host - they might be able to recover, or not.

On the subject of suspend/hibernate:
My system uses a lot of NFS between the VMs and I discovered that
simply freezing the VMs was a bad idea as they would have the wrong
time when they restarted and communications would fail.

However, I inadvertently hit suspend on the Ubuntu host one day. On
resuming I was surprised to find that my NFS server and a client both
resumed OK. Sadly the client I was using most at the time did not fair
so well. At that point I was not very confident about the state of
things so I rebooted all the VMs.

Brenton