[clug] I need help with KVM vitualization

eyal at eyal.emu.id.au eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sun Jul 19 11:48:29 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-19 21:07, Michael Still via linux wrote:
> https://moozing.wordpress.com/2015/06/24/converting-a-physical-machine-to-a-virtual-machine/
>
> This looks like a reasonable guide to me.

Yes, it reads well.

Initially I think that I need to create a storage pool on a large partition,
there is not enough room on /. I may actually modify 'default' to the new location.

BTW, I have stray items left from the first failure, like

$ sudo virsh pool-list
  Name      State    Autostart
-------------------------------
  default   active   yes
  eyal      active   yes

and 'eyal' is actually my home directory.

If I do
	$ sudo virsh pool-destroy eyal
will the pool be gone but the data remain untouched? The man page says so.

I also see

$ sudo virsh list --all
  Id   Name       State
---------------------------
  -    fedora32   shut off

But there is no image file anywhere. All I can find is

$ sudo ls -l `sudo find /var/lib/libvirt/ -name '*fedora32*'`
/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/domain-3-fedora32:
total 0
srwxrwxr-x 1 qemu qemu 0 Jul 18 23:38 org.qemu.guest_agent.0

/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-3-fedora32:
total 8
-rw------- 1 qemu qemu 32 Jul 18 23:38 master-key.aes
srwxrwxr-x 1 root root  0 Jul 18 23:38 monitor.sock

I expect I can safely 'delete' it in virt-manager? This is the only vm listed there.

I can see related files under /etc/libvirt/ describing the above resources.

> Michael

Thanks,
	Eyal