[clug] I need help with KVM vitualization

eyal at eyal.emu.id.au eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sun Jul 19 10:01:13 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-19 19:29, Michael Still via linux wrote:
> KVM is a totally cromulent tool to do this sort of thing, but you'd have a
> better experience if you were using libvirt or a libvirt wrapper
> (virt-manager, a hobby project from a burnt out cloud engineer, that sort
> of thing).

I am not even clear about how kvm, qemu and libvirt relate to each other.
Hence my search for a good doco.

> What you describe should just work.

"should"...

I did use virt-manager in this case. I pointed it at the vdi file and let it boot.
It then failed etc.

My plan now is this:
- start virt-manager, tell it the disk size I want, memory, CPUS... boot a clonezilla iso.
then:
- clone from the original machine to this empty disk.
or:
- create an ext4 partition. Mount it.
- rsync the content of the original machine into this partition
- probably fix fstab and install grub