[clug] 4G internet

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Sun Jul 12 06:24:05 UTC 2020

My strategy is to rent a VPS with a fixed IP (hosted in Sydney - I think
you can get them in Canberra as well now - not sure how competitive the
pricing is though) and then use OpenVPN. The clients (be they 4G, NBN
or "free WiFi" etc.) then connect to my VPS and I connect to it from
whereever I am to get to any/all ports I need.

DigitalOcean have some good articles on setting up OpenVPN on various
host OSs.

In your case, the modem is getting a private IP (RFC1918) address from
your ISP, but it is being NAT'd to a public IP address by the time that
"whatsmyip" can see it - hence the two different IPs.

cheers,
Bob Edwards.