[clug] IBM claims to have made a new battery design that is environment friendly

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Sun Jan 19 07:19:19 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 19-01-2020 at 14:04 Bryan Kilgallin wrote:
> Hi George:
>

> > Has anyone heard any positive news about Hydrogen Fuel Cells
recently?
> I've read that hydrogen is mostly made from methane/natural-gas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell_vehicle
Because pure hydrogen does not occur naturally on Earth in large
quantities, it usually requires a primary energy input to produce on
an industrial scale.[7] Hydrogen fuel can be produced from methane or
by electrolysis of water.[8] As of 2018, the majority of hydrogen
(∼95%) is produced from fossil fuels by steam reforming or partial
oxidation of methane and coal gasification with only a small quantity
by other routes such as biomass gasification or electrolysis of water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_fuel
Hydrogen fuel is a zero-emission fuel burned with oxygen. It can be
used in fuel cells or internal combustion engines . It has begun to be
used in commercial fuel cell vehicles such as passenger cars, and has
been used in fuel cell buses for many years. It is also used as a fuel
for spacecraft propulsion.

As of 2018, the majority of hydrogen (∼95%) is produced from fossil
fuels by steam reforming or partial oxidation of methane and coal
gasification with only a small quantity by other routes such as
biomass gasification or electrolysis of water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell
A fuel cell is an electrochemical cell that converts the chemical
energy of a fuel (often hydrogen) and an oxidizing agent (often
oxygen[1]) into electricity through a pair of redox reactions

(Steve, thanks for the information about Dr Alan Finkel, I had not
kept up to date on this subject)

https://www.chiefscientist.gov.au/news-and-media/national-hydrogen-strategy-adopted

“Australia has the renewable resources, the technology know-how, and
the relationships with trading partners to make the most of the
changing marketplace that is the energy sector.”

“When it comes to capturing and exporting solar and wind electricity
by first splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen, clean hydrogen and
its derivatives have no equal. Energy importing countries are hungry
for hydrogen as part of their emissions reduction agenda, and
Australia has the potential to supply much of their needs. We can be
the leader in the new industry I call “shipping sunshine”.”

https://www.chiefscientist.gov.au/news-and-media/national-hydrogen-strategy-adopted

(I have much, much more reading to get up to date on around this
subject)