[clug] KDE desktop kinda freezing

Tony Lewis tony at lewistribe.com
Sun Feb 9 05:05:30 UTC 2020

On 9/2/20 2:12 am, James Ring wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 5:12 AM Tony Lewis via linux
> <linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>> I've been running the current Kubuntu version for the last few months,
>> and I find that every so often it freezes.  I'm trying to find out what
>> causes it and what I can do to fix it.
>>
>> The symptoms are:
>>
>>    * the mouse cursor moves freely, but no actions do anything to windows
>>    * the keyboard does nothing
>>    * the desktop doesn't change, including panels with clocks in it
>>    * audio keeps playing (e.g. spotify)
>>    * I cannot successfully save my Windows VM from the command line (more
>>      below)
> Are you using an NVIDIA accelerator? I had similar symptoms which I
> believe I resolved by changing the compositor from XRender to OpenGL:
>
> $ systemsettings5
>
> Click on "Display and Monitor" under "Hardware" and try OpenGL 2.0.

The laptop has a Radeon , a 550X I think, but I'm not sure I'm actually
using it; it might be using just the built-in Intel one.

Either way, I was having bad problems using OpenGL as the backend, as
described here:

https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64520

When using the DisplayLink hub, it would get super glitchy visually,
like 80s TV loss of sync.  Going to Xrender fixed that, and I hope it's
not the cause of this one.  I guess I can script something that switches
between OpenGL and Xrender depending on whether I'm docked or not.

In a variation of the Streetlight Effect, I'm going to try the other
suggestions first, but thanks for the heads up.

Tony