[clug] Lenovo to ship laptops pre-installed with Fedora

Lindsay Steele lgsteele at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 21:04:03 UTC 2020

I am a little torn on this one,  as a Fedora user on my desktop and laptops
I think it is great in some ways that there are Fedora options but the
support aspect might be problematic for the average user.   Then again
maybe the average user is not the market here.

Although Fedora is good for (at a minimum) semi experienced Linux users who
want to be part of the Redhat way of doing things, it is not exactly the
first distribution I would give to someone else that I have to support
considering the leading edge nature of the distro and it's constant stream
of updates.  You also run into the fact that the life-cycle of the distro
is six months between releases and about thirteen months before updates
cease.   This compares to the Ubuntu two/five year releases.

I wish them all the best,  maybe it will encourage Fedora to consider an
LTS release for these kinds of things.   They are also maybe aiming it at
those people who are happy to self support and do the major upgrades every
six months.