[clug] 'Tracetogether' App - First Dog suggests 'publishing' source might not be enough

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Sat Apr 25 01:31:08 UTC 2020

Dare I say that there is a sort-of middle ground to the "smartphone"
tracking issue. Anyone using eg. Airbuds, fit-bits, etc. already
doesn't mind being tracked - they are already emitting a cloud of
BLE, with their MAC address(es), everywhere they go.

If anyone else who cares wants to, they can simply track those bluetooth
MACs of devices in proximity and store it locally, without emitting any
BLE MACs themselves.

Then two scenarios:
  - actor1 with the BLE enabled is diagnosed.
  - actor2 tracking BLE but not emitting is diagnosed.

In the first case, the health folk can make available, with actor1s
permission, hashed copies of the bluetooth MAC on some publicly
accessible website without any personal identifying data. Actor2
can take it upon themselves to check any MACs they have tracked and
may have suspicions about. This could be automated. Add in some
dummy MACs to get an idea of people attempting to brute-force the
system.

In the second case, actor2 simply hands over their list of tracked
MACs from their BLE tracking app (within a suitable time range) to
the health folk, who can then do whatever follow-up is necessary.

That is what I'll be doing in the first instance until someone can
demonstrate that the official tracking app is saving lives _in my
community_.

cheers,
Bob Edwards.