[clug] HA update, smart light switch

Chris Smart clug at csmart.io
Fri Apr 24 11:02:01 UTC 2020

Four years ago I presented at CLUG on my custom home automation system. It's taken a long time, but in case anyone's keen to see, I have finally made some progress towards a prototype of my smart light switch. It uses an ESP with a custom PCB that my brother Tim made, has momentary push button switches as inputs to GPIO and has a PIR sensor, etc. The ESP has a bunch of MOSFETs which lets the ESP control the relay, which turns on the respective 240V circuit.

No blog post yet but you can see it on twitter[1] with a couple of videos of it installed in the bathroom. I also have an old blog post series[2] similar to what I talked about at CLUG, if you're interested in the backstory.

[1] https://twitter.com/distroguy/status/1253515674149810177
[2] https://blog.christophersmart.com/2016/10/22/my-custom-open-source-home-automation-project-part-1/