[clug] Bridge setup without IP address configuration turn off end station autoconfiguration

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 9 22:52:42 UTC 2020

Hi George,

Do you actually need IPv6 on this system? I usually disable it on all my
systems that don't need it as it is still a potential security hole if
not separately managed to IPv4 security (firewall rules, various service
configurations etc. etc.).

I add:

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1

to the end of /etc/sysctl.conf and then run:

sudo sysctl -p

(happens automatically on reboot).
IPv6 is immediately disabled and will go away on all interfaces.

cheers,
Bob Edwards.