[clug] remote power cycling many machines

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Sun Apr 5 21:46:07 UTC 2020

On 5/4/20 12:04 pm, Neil Pickford wrote:
> I know there have been lots of high tech suggestions, however you could
> go real low tech.
>
> Set BIOS for allways on, Power switch timer on the machine that turns it
> off for 1 minute at 00:01 weekly on a Sunday night. That way if a
> machine freezes you just have to wait for the timer reboot on Sunday
> night. Monday morning each device will be fresh for the week.
>
> Also gives researchers remotely playing with their machines an incentive
> not to brick them early in the week.

Thanks Neil.

Interesting idea... Not sure how my users would react to a compulsory
hard power-cycle of their self-managed machine once a week... (I know
how I'd react if _my_ server was hard power-cycled once a week, but
maybe it is a case of expectation management...).

Could be a good strategy to push more of them to the cloud - "we don't
force reboot your VM each week..."

cheers,
Bob Edwards.