[clug] Pentium4 and Ubuntu

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Fri Apr 3 02:13:44 UTC 2020

On 3/4/20 8:49 am, rodney peters via linux wrote:

> On 2020-04-03 08:39, peter via linux wrote:
>> Re pentium4 and ubuntu
>>
>> The pentium4 machine would not have a EUFI bios; has ubuntu made the
>> stick bootable in eufi and not legacy?
>>
>> good luck
>>
>> Pete
>
> Peter E description of the "boot" was somewhat ambiguous.  I interpreted
> it as a boot was initiating but stalling.
>
> On a couple of circa 2002 machines I have, USB stick will not boot -
> period.  Absolutely no display other that "no boot device found - insert
> boot medium and press Enter".  That is because the relevant BIOS are not
> GRUB2 compatible.  ISTR some DVD too are now also using GRUB2 in lieu
> isolinux to boot.
>
> Rod

For what it is worth, I have a PXE boot image of 32-bit Debian (stretch,
I believe) that I use to netboot old Pentium/Atom/Celeron etc. machines
for two main reasons:
- scrub old hard disks prior to disposal
- support old PCI and ISA cards that people occasionally bring to me to
   test or whatever (sometimes I am just curious).

Occasionally I am asked to recover data from an old system - prefer to
do that using my familiar Debian tools than rely on whatever old O/S
might still be present on the hard drive.

My PXE image has SSH enabled by default, so even if the display/keyboard
etc. is bust, I can still usually get in.

Back to the topic discussion - have you tried to boot a "server" O/S
(one that doesn't try to bring up a GUI)? I would start there and see
how things progress.

cheers,
Bob Edwards.