[clug] Pentium 4 (and 32bit Ubuntu)

rodney peters rodneyp at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 2 05:44:07 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-02 16:14, Peter Ellis via linux wrote:
> Hello, all,
> I usually lurk.
>
> I need advice, please.
>
> I have a Pentium 4 3,000 (200x15) that was swish in its day, for a 3GHz
> 32bit machine. Thanks to some donated memory, it has been updated to 4GB.
>
> It's set to boot from USB if it can find something; and it does.
>
> BUT, when I try to run 32bit Ubuntu on it, from a USB, the lights are on
> (the string under the name keep moving) but no-body is at home. I left it,
> today, for several hours.
>
> I've also tried with 4M Linux. Same thing, only *less* interesting things
> seemed to be happening.
>
> The temps are fine; it's never been 'cooked'.
> It will boot to Windoze XP from its disk(s). (I dare not connect to the
> 'net with that configuration, but will from Linux.)
>
> Am I missing something?
> What?
> Suggestions, please, eg a better,, or leaner, 32bit distro to burn to the
> USB?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

4MLinux has its points, but generally is difficult to boot from USB
stick and requires an ATA/SCSI/USB attached CD to get started.

Are you confident that USB is 2.0 - if 1.1 forget it ?

Are there no messages along the lines "can't find squashfs", "sector
error" etc ?

Another possibility is a memory error that gets it to an impasse.  Have
your run memtest ?

Rod