[clug] Pentium 4 (and 32bit Ubuntu)

Peter Ellis vk1pe.peter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 05:14:04 UTC 2020

Hello, all,
I usually lurk.

I need advice, please.

I have a Pentium 4 3,000 (200x15) that was swish in its day, for a 3GHz
32bit machine. Thanks to some donated memory, it has been updated to 4GB.

It's set to boot from USB if it can find something; and it does.

BUT, when I try to run 32bit Ubuntu on it, from a USB, the lights are on
(the string under the name keep moving) but no-body is at home. I left it,
today, for several hours.

I've also tried with 4M Linux. Same thing, only *less* interesting things
seemed to be happening.

The temps are fine; it's never been 'cooked'.
It will boot to Windoze XP from its disk(s). (I dare not connect to the
'net with that configuration, but will from Linux.)

Am I missing something?
What?
Suggestions, please, eg a better,, or leaner, 32bit distro to burn to the
USB?

Thanks,
Peter