[clug] Cut a file in place.

Steve McInerney steve at mcinerney.email
Wed Sep 18 05:56:34 UTC 2019

On 2019-09-18 15:43, Tony Lewis via linux wrote:
> On 18/9/19 2:59 pm, Andrew Janke via linux wrote:
>>
>> To a web browser based upload interface, their web interface. Only one
>> option. The data is PII, I'm not putting it anywhere else, even if
>> encrypted.
>
> Interesting.  Do you not think robust crypto is trustworthy enough for
> personally identifiable information on a third party server?
>
> Not a dig, I'm genuinely curious.  You'll no doubt be using crypt when
> transferring the file; would it be less trustworthy if you put that
> data on a third party server with similar strength encryption.

For what length of time?
5 years? 20? 50?

It's one thing to protect information in transit where the risk of
interception is low for most actors. Ditto on a controlled access
service.
It's quite something else to have it in the public record... forever.

my 2c, Andrew's choice here is a wise one.

Cheers!