[clug] Cut a file in place.

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 17 22:23:00 UTC 2019

On 18/9/19 5:08 am, Paul Wayper via linux wrote:
> On 17/9/19 9:31 am, Andrew Janke via linux wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Let's say I have a 26GB compressed archive and 17GB of spare disk space and
>> want to cut it up into chunks. The internet says no, but this list
>> typically doesn't fail me.
>
> What are you doing with these chunks?  Why do you need it in chunks?  An
> archive in chunks is useless; so how is it going to be used?
>
> It sounds like we're being given an X-Y problem.  You're not telling us the
> whole project, you've decided to X, you don't know how to do X but you think
> it can be done by doing Y, you don't know how to do Y, so you ask us how to do Y.
>
> Specifically, it sounds like you're trying to do the second example in:
>
> https://mywiki.wooledge.org/XyProblem
>
> HTH,
>
> Paul

<rant>
I must say that I find these "XY Problem" shaming characterisations
somewhat disquieting.

Stackoverflow etc. seem to deal with it well by various responders
respecting the original question (the "OP").

Yes, I agree, sometimes the problem is "XY" and it is helpful to
the OP to suggest, gently, alternate, simpler ways to do what they
ultimately are attempting to achieve, if you know what that is.

But often it is also the case that the OP has thought about it and
has asked a specific question and just needs an answer to that, not
some lecture from others about why their approach may be inferior.

In the case of the second example at https://mywiki.wooledge.org/XyProblem,
just saying "rsync", "next" is highly rude. Why not give a complete
rsync command line etc. This just stinks of arrogance. Will rsync
even cope with a corrupted file?
</rant>

Bob Edwards.