[clug] (not) Partitioning for fun and benefit

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Fri Oct 18 04:38:31 UTC 2019

> If my memory is correct, my first Hard drive was cutting edge, a 33MB voice coil when RRL'ed and in the Telephone exchange I worked in we had a 2MB HD that had a three foot diameter platter, and now look at Seagate's low end Ironwolf range of RAID capable disk drives.

My apologies, that was supposed to be RLL not RRL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-length_limited

https://redhill.net.au/d/10.php
RLL (Run Length Limited) encoding used the same electrical interface and cables but a different data format (much as Morse Code and Baudot code are different). An RLL format squeezes the information more tightly onto the disc and increases the effective areal density by 50%.