[clug] [OT] FireEye on Email Attacks - only 1/3 via attachments, 1 in 6 use malware

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Fri Oct 11 02:06:34 UTC 2019

On 11/10/19 12:57 pm, steve jenkin via linux wrote:
> After the recent reveal that ANU was compromised by a well targeted spear phising attack, I found this infographic ‘illuminating’.
>
> While “Microsoft Users” are more heavily targeted and rate of increase in attacks has recently approx doubled each quarter,
> “not Microsoft” isn’t the defence it once was.
>
> FireEye is the company that took over Mandiant, the firm that disclosed the first APT report in 2013.
> While they sell security services, freely releasing reports and infographics is generous on their part - not something they have to do.

+1

FireEye publish (aka publicise, promote) lots of interesting cyber
security data. I found this page quite illuminating some weeks ago:
https://www.fireeye.com/current-threats/apt-groups.html

I wonder how accurate it is? (no reason to believe it isn't, but
then again, we are discussing issues where subterfuge reigns).

cheers,
Bob Edwards.