[clug] LinuxLinks site. Any better collections of books, tools, reviews?

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Fri Oct 4 02:56:01 UTC 2019

In my Wild Erratic Journey through the Interwebs, I came across this site which I though would be useful for CLUG:

Linux Links
<https://www.linuxlinks.com/faq/>

Questions for CLUG:

	1. Are there other sites with ‘tool collections’ as good or better than this site?

	2. What sort of things are missing off that site?
		There’d be many command-line tools as good as what gets mentioned. How to collect those?
		[Is the site the place to contact about that, or CLUG list?]

	3. There’s an obvious ageing problem.
		Recommendations of today (or 2017) won’t stand up after 5 years.
		What happens with dead links, abandonware and site changes?

Seems there’s at least two other associated sites.

> OSS Blog
> <https://www.ossblog.org/educational-series-open-source-books/>
> 	Steve Emms is the main author of OSSBlog.org.
>
> FOR FOSS
> <https://www.forfoss.com>
> 	WINDOWS FREE OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE

Site appears to have wide coverage, to be useful to many levels of Linux users - beginner/ neophyte to ’20 yr vet’ and not pushing any particular line.
All the posts where I noticed the author, it was Steve Emms <https://twitter.com/teamlinuxlinks?lang=en>

They seem to have started the site in 2017, but the FAQ says the collection dates back to 1994.
But every user has their own preferences and limits to tools used.
While there are good lists of sysadmin & commandline tools, there’s a lot of other Desktop stuff as well - ‘wider’ interests than me.

They’ve attempted to nominate ‘Awards’ - selecting ’the best in category’ - which many be subjective, but for many people, it’s a useful start.

I was impressed by this list of free beginner resources:

> Linux Books for Beginners
> <https://www.linuxlinks.com/excellent-no-charge-books-learn-about-linux/>

And of course I came across a few tools new to me.
eg  ‘peco’ - an interesting interactive pipeline filter.

cheers
stevej

==============

Our Picks of the Best Open Source
<https://www.linuxlinks.com/award-winning-open-source-software/>
We have awarded gold, silver, and bronze medals to
 45 open source business software, and
 42 open source educational software.

Education Apps
	We cover 14 different types of educational software in the pages below.

Business Apps
	Best Open Source Business Apps

==============

GROUP TESTS [really, Lists of software by Type]
<https://www.linuxlinks.com/linux-group-tests-part-1/>

Part 1:	Gaming, Internet & Networking, Office Software,
Part 2:	Health, Desktop & Productivity, Science, Backup, Finance
Part 3:	Programming, Text Editors, Education, System Administration, Religion, Family History, Humor
Part 4: 	Graphics & Multimedia, Utilities, Web Applications
Part 5:	Big Data, Cloud Computing, Documentation,
		Other Articles, Programming Languages Books, Free Proprietary Software, Android Devices

Some Groups [number is count of items in Group]

12	Project Management	42 	Business Apps	42	Education Apps		10	Databases
34	Backup Tools			21	Productivity Tools	9 	Terminal Emulators		21	Financial Tools
3 	Bitcoin Clients			21 	Text Editors		42 	Graphics Apps		42	Email Apps
13	VoIP Apps			42	Best Games		42 	Video Apps

==============
Selected Links
==============

Best Free Linux Password Managers
<https://www.linuxlinks.com/best-free-linux-password-managers/>

Excellent Free Books to Master Programming
<https://www.linuxlinks.com/excellent-free-programming-books/>

12 Remarkable Free Shell Scripting Books
<https://www.linuxlinks.com/shellscriptingbooks/>

12 Outstanding Linux Utilities to Maximize your Productivity
<https://www.linuxlinks.com/outstanding-linux-utilities-maximize-productivity

23 Excellent Ways to Manage Your System – Essential System Tools
<https://www.linuxlinks.com/essential-system-tools-excellent-ways-manage-system/>

7 Best Command Line Navigation Tools
<https://www.linuxlinks.com/navigationtools/>

34 Best Free Linux Backup Software
<https://www.linuxlinks.com/BackupTools/>

Best Free Linux Computer Algebra Systems
<https://www.linuxlinks.com/best-free-linux-computer-algebra-systems/>

	Computer Algebra Systems
	SageMath	Open source alternative to Magma, Maple, Mathematica and Matlab

Sage Math - includes many tools, eg. Graphviz
<http://www.sagemath.org/tour-graphics.html>

==============
Expanded selections
==============

7 Best Command Line Navigation Tools
<https://www.linuxlinks.com/navigationtools/>

Shell tools
fasd			Command-line productivity booster. It seeks inspiration from autojump, z and v
autojump		Offers a fast way to navigate your filesystem
Shonenjump	A faster way to traverse directories
z			Maintains a jump-list of the directories you actually use
v			z for vim
goto			Designed to be a complete replacement for cd
fzf			Command-line fuzzy finder for your shell

==============

12 Outstanding Linux Utilities to Maximize your Productivity
<https://www.linuxlinks.com/outstanding-linux-utilities-maximize-productivity/>

Excellent Utilities
tmux		A terminal multiplexer that offers a massive boost to your workflow
lnav			Advanced log file viewer for the small-scale; great for troubleshooting
Paperwork	Designed to simplify the management of your paperwork
Abricotine	Markdown editor with inline preview functionality
mdless		Formatted and highlighted view of Markdown files
fkill			Kill processes quick and easy
Tusk		An unofficial Evernote client with bags of potential
Ulauncher	Sublime application launcher
McFly		Navigate through your bash shell history
LanguageTool	Style and grammar checker for 30+ languages
peco		Simple interactive filtering tool that's remarkably useful
Liquid Prompt	Adaptive prompt for Bash & Zsh

==============

23 Excellent Ways to Manage Your System – Essential System Tools
<https://www.linuxlinks.com/essential-system-tools-excellent-ways-manage-system/>

Essential System Tools
ps_mem		Accurate reporting of software's memory consumption
gtop			System monitoring dashboard
pet			Simple command-line snippet manager
Alacritty		Innovative, hardware-accelerated terminal emulator
inxi			Command-line system information tool that's a time-saver for everyone
BleachBit		System cleaning software. Quick and easy way to service your computer
catfish		Versatile file searching software
journalctl		Query and display messages from the journal
Nmap		Network security tool that builds a "map" of the network
ddrescue		Data recovery tool, retrieving data from failing drives as safely as possible
Timeshift		Similar to Windows' System Restore functionality, Time Machine Tool in Mac OS
GParted		Resize, copy, and move partitions without data
Clonezilla	Partition and disk cloning software
fdupes		Find or delete duplicate files
Krusader		Advanced, twin-panel (commander-style) file manager
nmon		Systems administrator, tuner, and benchmark tool
f3			Detect and fix counterfeit flash storage
QJournalctl	Graphical User Interface for systemd’s journalctl
QDirStat		Qt-based directory statistics
Firejail		Restrict the running environment of untrusted applications
VeraCrypt	Strong disk encryption software
Unison		Console and graphical file synchronization software
hyperfine		Command-line benchmarking tool

==============

12 Remarkable Free Shell Scripting Books
<https://www.linuxlinks.com/shellscriptingbooks/>

1. Conquering the Command Line
	By Mark Bates (HTML; 155 pages)

2. Advanced Bash Scripting Guide
	By Mendel Cooper (PDF, HTML; 945 pages

3. Bash Guide for Beginners
	By Machtelt Garrels (PDF, HTML; 165 pages)

4. Learn Vimscript the Hard Way
	By Steve Losh (HTML; 241 pages)

5. The Linux Command Line – 2nd Edition
	By William D. Shotts, Jnr (PDF; 537 pages)

6. GNU Bash Reference Manual
	By Chet Ramey, Brian Fox (PDF, HTML; 166 pages)

7. LINUX: Rute User’s Tutorial and Exposition
	By Paul Sheer (PDF, HTML; 660pages)

8. Learn Regex the Hard Way
	By Zed A. Shaw (HTML)

9. Gawk: Effective AWK Programming
	By Arnold D. Robbins (HTML, ASCII, Tex dvi, PDF, Texinfo source, Info document; 508 pages)

10. C-shell Cookbook
	By Malcolm J. Currie (HTML, PDF; 60 pages)

11. Linux 101 Hacks
	By Ramesh Natarajan (PDF, HTML; 140 pages)

12. Put Yourself in Command
	By Free Software Foundation (PDF, Multi-page HTML; 136 pages)

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)

mailto:sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au http://members.tip.net.au/~sjenkin