[clug] [OT] 'Technical Debt' in Infrastructure, now entering mainstream media

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 7 21:34:56 UTC 2019

On 7/11/19 10:04 pm, Paul Wayper via linux wrote:

> But we shouldn't pretend that they're not there.  To be honest, many of these
> technical debt problems are - in my experience - caused by inexperienced or
> lazy programmers just slapping something together, trying random things until
> they work, or putting in hacks to quickly solve a problem rather than attempt
> the 'right' solution.  In all of those situations, the programmers could have
> simply done it the 'right' way to begin with; they simply didn't know or
> didn't care about the long term pain brought about by their short term gain.

Yeah, I agree - inexperienced programmers should not be allowed to
write code.

Imagine a world where, for instance, most of the O/S kernels were
written by a second year undergrad from a non-English speaking
country - doesn't even bear imagining. Or if the dominant file-server
were written by a PhD student with a physics background who did
it just to solve a short-term problem. Or if most people were
relying on a security protocol cobbled together by a pair of students
from a backward place like Queensland... Dystopia!

All software should be written by large American multi-nationals.

Then there wouldn't be any technical debt.

cheers,
Bob Edwards.