[clug] gnome-shell

Chris Smart clug at csmart.io
Tue May 21 00:59:20 UTC 2019

On Tue, 21 May 2019, at 10:42, George at Clug via linux wrote:
> Thanks Chris.  I will see how many I can memorise.

I have found GNOME 3 highly more efficient to use than any other desktop. Basically, you don't minimise apps anymore, you just open them on, or move them to, their own virtual desktop. Alt tab will switch the desktop out, or you can slide through desktops to change apps. All without the mouse.

Main shortcuts I use are below, you could just start trying these first.

To open a program:
<Super>  then start typing to find the app name and hit enter

This is much faster than using the mouse to open an app, for me.

E.g. To open Firefox:
<Super> fir <Enter>

To maximise a window (down arrow to unmaximise):
Super + up arrow

To move to window to maximised half of screen:
<Super> + left/right arrow

To change desktop:
Ctrl + alt + up/down arrow (or <Super> + pageup/pagedown)

Hold shift to move active window to a new desktop:
Shift + Ctrl + alt + up/down arrow

-c