[clug] Setting permission bit with a mount option

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Sun Mar 17 04:49:04 UTC 2019

On 15/3/19 12:32 pm, Brett Worth via linux wrote:
> Does anyone know if it is possible to set the mode bits of a filesystem's root at mount time?
>
> i.e. I'd like to have something in the fstab options column of an ext3 entry like
> "defaults,mode=1777" so that when the filesystem is mounted you end up with "drwxrwxrwt".

AFAIK the permissions on the directory the file system is mounted on set the
permissions for the root of that file system.  Are you not seeing that?

I.e. unmount the file system, do `chmod 1777 /mnt/target`, mount the file
system on `/mnt/target`, permissions for root directory should be 1777.

HTH,

Paul