[clug] Docker Introduction

Stephen Hocking stephen.hocking at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 22:47:00 UTC 2019

I think it'd be good - I've spun it up on a couple of home machines, after
much furious googling, but a cookbook for doing on a single machine, or
setting up a cluster of machines would be really nice.

On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 at 07:35, George at Clug via linux <
linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Brad,
>

> " an intro to docker"  - that would be interesting. Please make it
> practical starting from installing Docker and setting up the
> environment. Use CentOS if you want as most commercial systems use Red
> Hat. I have tried to follow a number of "intros" but they seem to jump
> though things way too fast for people not used to docker. Maybe I
> could test out your "intro" for you once you have it together?
>

> Anyone else Interested?
>

> George.
>

> On Sunday, 30-06-2019 at 07:19 Brad Marshall wrote:
>

> Hi all,
>
> On Sat, 29 Jun. 2019, 21:33 George at Clug via linux,
>         *  wrote:
>

>  But I guess there are things you cannot easily use containers for? If
> it were possible I would love to see a demo (that I can follow along
> with) on how to containerise a Minecraft server. But I don't think a
> Minecraft server is written to be containerised.
>

> You don't need to write a server to be containerised, its just a
> restricted set of processes.  You expose services on a port by port
> basis.  There are some things you have to account for, but you can
> mostly run anything you want.
>

> I might start writing an intro to docker talk and see how it goes,
> Steve will have to bug me for a timeframe.
>

> Thanks,
> Brad
> --

  "I and the public know
  what all schoolchildren learn
  Those to whom evil is done
  Do evil in return"		W.H. Auden, "September 1, 1939"