[clug] Private Browsing?

Bryan Kilgallin kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 24 04:00:16 UTC 2019

George:

> I had not
> heard about Ghostery.

{Ghostery enables its users to easily detect and control JavaScript
"tags" and "trackers". JavaScript bugs and beacons are embedded in many
web pages, largely invisible to the user, allowing collection of the
user's browsing habits via HTTP cookies, as well as participating in
more sophisticated forms of tracking such as canvas fingerprinting.}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostery

{Ghostery is a powerful privacy extension.

Block ads, stop trackers and speed up websites.}

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/

> It then made me
> realise that if you opened pages/records from different websites, then
> they potentially would be able to see each other's data. Not a
> pleasant thought security wise.

I had read that a Web browser had the hygiene of a sewer! You are fodder
for marketers and spies.

> "How we are tracked over the Internet" would be a great topic for
> CLUG, if anyone had the knowledge.
Seconded.
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/