[clug] Local configuration on a non-homogeneous LAN

Bryan Kilgallin kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 21 15:16:57 UTC 2019

Brenton:

> For example: I am developing VICI against Scientific Linux as that will
> guarantee that it will build on Red Hat and other older systems.
> However there are other programs that simply will not run on SL7 as it
> is too old. For them I need Fedora or Ubuntu.
>
> Further, I will be wanting to test VICI (and other stuff) on a range of
> clients, so a common repository for the software is not really an
> option.>

Detect the client OS, for which to choose modules. Your download page
could invite the reader to select a version for their OS.

{It occurs to me that a lot of software stores its user specific
configurations in the ~/.config and ~/.local directories. If these are
stored centrally then there could be conflicts when a user changes from
one machine to another and the configuration data is then out of sync
with the programs installed on the second machine.}

The user downloads VICI, which configures their device.
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/