[clug] Local configuration on a non-homogeneous LAN

Brenton Ross rossb at fwi.net.au
Fri Jun 21 13:39:27 UTC 2019

Hi

I am looking for some thoughts...

I am trying to set up a LAN consisting of a CentOS 7 server, plus a
variety clients.
The users will be defined in LDAP, and that part is working OK - they
can log into the clients.
The user's files will be stored on the server and made available via
NFS - this is where I am foreseeing some issues that I would like some
opinions on.

As I mentioned, the clients will be mostly different from each other -
some Scientific Linux, Fedora, Ubuntu, and others. They might also be
at different releases. Basically the operating systems will be tailored
to the software installed on each machine.

It occurs to me that a lot of software stores its user specific
configurations in the ~/.config and ~/.local directories. If these are
stored centrally then there could be conflicts when a user changes from
one machine to another and the configuration data is then out of sync
with the programs installed on the second machine.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to handle this ?

Brenton