[clug] Recovering data from old disks. Max age observed?

Bryan Kilgallin kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 14 10:00:10 UTC 2019

Steve:

> 	I don’t expect to be able to recover data from my 2015 disk in 2025.

I've worked in archiving. Print onto acid-free paper. Spare no expense.
As cheap acid-paper crumbles in twenty years! Don't let your archive get
hot under a corrugated-iron roof. Control humidity with an open
water-absorber container. I have Hippo brand (calcium chloride). Don't
use cheap cardboard boxes. Their contents will fall onto the floor! Buy
modern, well-designed, archival files. Buy the best, not the cheapest.
Don't laminate! That seals in acid, destroying paper.
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/