[clug] KDE Desktop

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 11:04:58 UTC 2019

On 6/1/19 7:10 PM, George at Clug via linux wrote:
<snipped>

> On Saturday, 01-06-2019 at 18:15 Scott Ferguson via linux wrote:
>>

>> On 6/1/19 4:10 PM, George at Clug via linux wrote:
<snipped>

>>> I guess FOSS purists would have
>>> issue (e.g. Richard Stallman).
>>
>> What's a "FOSS purist"? (and who's writing the narrative).
>> Free Open Source Software is about choices... (isn't it?). Or do we
>> ignore the "GNU Is Not Unix" and then wail about Linux not being UNIX
>> (hate systemd, hate change)??
>

> Yep, I don't know if I like systemd, and change is only good if it provides improvement, but that is not the point, I guess.

systemd DOES provide improvements. Computing is not only about desktops
- even just boot time is important to many users.

> Free Open Source Software is not about choice, though it certainly allows more scope for choice to be offered. The below links give a better description of FOSS than I could.

It most certainly IS about choice. FOSS allows you the choice of
changing code - supporting it yourself - distribution - and basing work
upon it (FOSS).

Non-FOSS on the-other-hand DOES limit your choices. You have no choice
over support - as you cannot have the source/and/or modify it (and
therefore can't fork it) - you may not own the code you base upon it -
you may not be able to distribute it.

> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
> Why Open Source misses the point of Free Software
> by Richard Stallman

Richard Stallman is not the end all and be all of FOSS.
You can drink the Kool-aid, brew your-own - OR drink Coke(TM) if you
like... (BSD isn't worse or better then GPL).

>     The terms “free software” and “open source” stand for almost the same range of programs. However, they say deeply different things about those programs, based on different values. The free software movement campaigns for freedom for the users of computing; it is a movement for freedom and justice. By contrast, the open source idea values mainly practical advantage and does not campaign for principles. This is why we do not agree with open source, and do not use that term.
>
> When we call software “free,” we mean that it respects the users' essential freedoms: the freedom to run it, to study and change it, and to redistribute copies with or without changes. This is a matter of freedom, not price, so think of “free speech,” not “free beer.”

You're quoting from an echo chamber :)

<snipped>

>> Kind regards (and happy computing)
>>

>> --
> I find it easier to read replies at the top, than miss comments among the previous email's text.

Easier for YOU. Easier for you to ignore questions (as you did).
Harder for anyone else. Not inclusive.
Especially harder for those of us who are visually impaired and have to
listen to the post several times to find out 'what' people are
'replying' too (as they are too lazy to move the mouse to below the
comment they are replying too).

>>     A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.
>>     Q: Why should I start my reply below the quoted text?
>

> Actually I find this method way more confusing, as I read from the top to the bottom, not in reverse order like the below text.

You misread.

>>     A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>>     Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>>
> Context come from starting at the beginning of a conversation. If you don't have context, simply go back and start at the beginning.

[gently] Have you heard of 'paragraphs'? (they separate 'context').

>>     A: The lost context.
>>     Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?
>>
> Only the specific text that your responding to, should be needed, if at all, because if people were following the thread, there is no need to restate or copy everything.

Good - then we are in agreement (which makes your comment somewhat
redundant - yes?).

<snipped>

Kind regards

--
    Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

    A: Yes.
    Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm reply

http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html