[clug] Hackathons in Canberra: Lists, Feedback, Suggestions?

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Tue Jul 30 12:40:22 UTC 2019

this firm has a ‘Big List’ of Australian Hackathons
<https://disruptorshandbook.com/big-list-hackathons/>

“GovHack” is on in Sept 2019, but it seems slim pickings otherwise.

is this the best (or only) list around of these events?

Anyone on-list participated in one these?
Any comments or feedback?

It would seem to be a hothouse where new skills could be learnt and old one applied in new ways.
My guess the team design of “Hackers, Hipsters (creatives), Hustlers and Humanitarians” is aimed at cross-discipline cultivation of ideas, but especially demonstrating _working_ things, not more words and reports.

I'm’ interested particularly in the tools, platforms and skill - and expertise levels needed. If they have 6-8 person teams with 1-2 ’techies’, I’d anticipate pressure.
For something to be made from scratch in a weekend, there’s not time to learn new tools from scratch.

Nothing works as well for learning / improving skills as focussed work with diverse groups fostering new approaches.

I’d be inclined to “self select out" as not having useful skills in this context - but that’s without knowledge of how these things work, what they work with, who gets along.

[1] Can’t go to a public library & borrow a resource for this - hackathons require active contributions and positive involvement, not constant ‘corrections’ and criticism.

[2] "There’s a list for that” - see [1]

[3] “I tried it but didn’t like it” or “I wouldn’t do that because ….” or “I’d need them to change to meet my diversity requirement” - see [1], these are offered on a ’take it or leave it’ basis.

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)

mailto:sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au http://members.tip.net.au/~sjenkin