[clug] July 2019 CLUG Meeting

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Mon Jul 22 06:42:00 UTC 2019

Hi All,

Looks like I am down to do a talk on Thursday on "handwavey NFS"
and "other technologies" I've played with...

The NFS bit came about from a mailing list discussion back in
May (around 20th), back in the old days when we discussed Linux
and tech and stuff...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_File_System if you want
to read up a bit about NFS before then (there are lots of other
links on that page). If you want authoritative information about
how Linux does NFS, look at the source code at kernel.org...

I might mention, in passing, how we use Distributed Replicated
Block Device (drbd) and Keepalived to build High-Availability
file servers out of commodity hardware
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_Replicated_Block_Device)

But, what I wanted to talk about, inspired by Mikal's brave
effort to write a DNS server in Bash back in his undergrad days,
was to discuss some Bash scripts I enjoyed writing. I kind-of
intimated that they were from my "junkcode" directory, but, in
fact, all the scripts I'll discuss are in production and used
daily (or even multiple times a day).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bash_(Unix_shell) covers much of
Bash...

In between NFS and Bash, I thought I'd throw in a quick few
comments on how we use Linux Containers - a totally not controversial
topic well covered by Brad last month - to run users personal web
pages, glueing NFS to Bash in a couple of places... I have an
allergic reaction to Docker, so I'll be talking about LXC...

(again, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LXC - anyone noticing a
trend here - yes: I don't Google stuff... Google and the U.S.
Govt. already knows enough about me - I don't need to feed them
anything more - they might get a belly ache).

cheers,
Bob Edwards.