[clug] Debian Buster Xfce

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Thu Jul 18 00:04:27 UTC 2019

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips on "Installing Debian Buster with Xfce", to
give a nice effective and working user installation?

Yesterday I installed Debian Buster with Xfce to a laptop and
discovered the following;

1) During the installation process the RealTek Wifi drivers could not
be installed. Installation of RealTek Wifi drivers was possible after
installation by installing firmware-realtek.

After installation and logging in...

2) Thunar was not able to view the network (i.e. Windows/Samba
networks). It is possible that gfs-backends package is required. I
have yet to fully test.

3) For many Web pages, the fonts in Firefox do not look nice.

Over the following weeks I am hoping to create a list of extra
packages that can be installed to make Xfce more usable.

Any help in improving the Xfce installation is appreciated.

George