[clug] July tech talks

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Wed Jul 17 06:47:48 UTC 2019

Hello George

On 17/7/19 3:25 pm, George at Clug via linux wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Hoping to pre-read the presenter's material before the CLUG meeting, I did attempt to use the CLUG web site and google as you suggested, however I was not able to located the presenters material/slide show.
>
> I guess it is a bit early for the presenters to have posted their talks to the Internet, but if you know of a link to such material, please enlighten us.

I've been asking for people to let me know if they're interested in
giving short talks on various topics at next week's meeting. A few
people have replied with some basic information on what they want to
talk about.

Sadly, this would mean that (at best) people on the mailing list have as
much information on the suggested topics as I do, but with the meeting
still a week away, the chances are quite low that slide decks, etc,
would be loaded on the website already.

I think you might be confusing the suggestion to google the talk topics
with a different email...?

> Reading the material before the talk can help in two ways;
> 1) it can either lets me know I do not have the background knowledge to understand the talk,
> or
> 2) it allows me to better prepared for the actual presentation.

I feel the same way. If the talk is on a topic I'm not familiar with, I
tend to read some articles, watch some videos and then write down some
questions I might like to politely ask the speaker beforehand, or
afterwards at Pizza.

Sometimes, those questions are answered in the talk itself. Sometimes
they're not.

I don't get upset, sigh heavily, throw my hands in the air, or disrupt
the speaker or the meeting when that happens, I accept that there are
some things in the world that are above my level of understanding, and
take that as an opportunity to fill in the gaps I've now identified in
my knowledge.

regards

Steve