[clug] Member Moderation - Bryan Kilgallin

James A Sparks jsparksaa at cs.com
Thu Jul 4 02:34:37 UTC 2019

All,

  I have lurked on the CLUG list for many years and have contributed only a few times.  I live in the USA and I have never attended a CLUG meeting. I feel the need to contribute here.
  I do not know Bryan and I have tried to read some offending posts, but I have missed the worst of the current problem.

I am reminded of a movie I saw many years ago.  I saw it once and it disturbed me very much.

A soldier was in a hospital suffering horrific injuries. (WW II?)  He had no arms or legs and had no way to communicate . . . except that he could blink.  One nurse noticed his blinking and thought she saw morse code. He and she began to "talk."  She tried to explain to her superiors the communication and she was told that what she thought she saw was impossible.  She was assigned to another unit. The movie ended with the soldier in a room by himself.

  I have worked in the Developmentally Disabled community, including with people on the Autism Spectrum, as an IT worker but I am not formally trained in DD. I have some hands on experiense working with some difficult residents of this community.  It takes much patience and understanding. The most disruptive residents were not always disruptive and they made great contributions. Sometimes they needed time-out or moderation. I struggle to express myself with respectfull language, but some people live in another world where rules that we comonly understand do not make sense to people in the DD community.

 I have found the CLUG community to be compassionate and understanding, and putting up with a disrupter needs increased compassion and understanding. E-mail moderation is not a bad thing in extreme cases of abuse. I have seen nothing that suggests a total ban of any distrupter. That would be my fear.

 I hope I am not misunderstanding this discussion and that I am able to contribute to other people's understanding.

I wish you well, Bryan and the entire CLUG community.

Jim