[clug] can upgrading ubuntu kill your bios?

Brett Worth brett.worth at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 04:12:37 UTC 2019

On 22/1/19 2:16 pm, Stephen Gibson via linux wrote:
> I successfully flashed a 'bricked' Lenovo E530. The hardest part, apart
> from physical access to the BIOS chip, was extracting the 4Mb BIOS image
> from the manufacturer 'BIOS' executable.

Funny you should say that.  A couple of weeks ago I wanted to upgrade the BIOS of an old
HP laptop where the firmware only came as a MicroSoft Windows executable i.e. a .exe file.

After a bit of mucking around looking for zip file headers in the executable  (of which
there were many false positives) I discovered that 7z could extract files straight from
the .exe file.

Magic.

Brett

--