[clug] can upgrading ubuntu kill your bios? DON't PANIC - How do I start the BIOS recovery on a Dell system?

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Mon Jan 21 11:26:37 UTC 2019

Bob,

This reminds me of the old quote DON'T PANIC, though I forget the
colouring that was part of the skit.

I have had the issue that UEFI looses all boot information for a disk
drive. Personally I hate complexity, and UEFI is just that, more
complexity than benefit (personal opinion only).

I would assume that you have already checked the below possible
solutions?  If not, let me know if this could work?

https://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/audhs1/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en

WHAT IS A BIOS RECOVERY TOOL?

The BIOS Recovery tools are software designed to recover a corrupted
BIOS.

How Do I Initiate BIOS Recovery On A Dell Laptop?

Before you begin the BIOS Recovery, ensure that the laptop's battery
is charged up to at least 10%.

	*

Verify that the laptop is powered OFF and disconnect the AC adapter.

	*

Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard.

	*

Plug in the AC adapter to the laptop.

	*

Release the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard once you see the BIOS
recovery screen.

	*

On the BIOS Recovery screen, select Reset NVRAM(if available) and
press the Enter key. Select Disabled and press the Enter key if you
wish to save the current BIOS settings.

	*

Select Recover BIOS and press the Enter key to start the recovery
process.

Note: Your Dell PC may restart a few times during the process of BIOS
recovery.

Note: This works slightly differently for Alienware Notebooks. Please
follow the steps below instead.

	*

Shut the PC down and remove the AC adapter cable

	*

Press and hold the CTRL and ESC keys together while carrying out the
next steps

	*

Connect the AC Adapter cable and press the PC's power button

	*

Release the CTRL and ESC keys as soon as the power button LED is lit

	*

Select option Recover BIOS and wait until it finishes

George