[clug] Server-side scripting

Bryan Kilgallin kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 13 19:32:58 UTC 2019

Neill wrote:

{I note that iiNet are offering you a very old version of PHP.  The
current stable release is 7.3.0 according to Wikipedia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP}

Citing my message.

{
 > And iiNet's personal website FAQ says this.
 > {What server-side scripting options does iiNet have?
 >
 >      Perl 5.8 (for CGI scripting). File extension is .cgi or .pl
 >      PHP 4.3.10 (For standalone PHP scripts). File extension is .php
 >      SSI. File extension is .shtml}
}

Whereas I have been studying PHP 5 on-line.
https://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp

And I have begun reading a book on PHP 7.
https://ineasysteps.com/products-page/all_books/php-7-in-easy-steps/

I gather that PHP 4.3.10 has limited object-oriented support. And that
it has security issues!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP#PHP_3_and_4

So say chapter 7 "Building Classes", may not be much use to me! I have
installed PHP 7.2 on my PC. Then I expect many errors once I install a
PHP file on iiNet's server.

--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/