[clug] Security for home - Topic for discussion

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Mon Feb 25 03:42:16 UTC 2019

On 25/2/19 12:21 pm, George at Clug via linux wrote:
> Bob,
>

> I liked your comments, they are an important starting point:
>

> How about:
> - what are you trying to protect (reputation, cpu cycles, privacy,
> ...)
> - how much is it worth to someone else
> - how much are you willing to expend to protect it
>

> To "what are you trying to protect", I would add "repurposing of your
> account or computer system for illegal means, theft of your identity,
> theft of your finances, theft of your privileged access to systems"

Hi George,

The ellipses are there to cover a wide variety of other cases - what
about the safety of vulnerable people in your care (I still have
several child dependents who use the Internet at our home).

> I read once that hackers can gain access to a person's account of a
> system which is of no obvious value, to gain access to the system in
> order to gain access to other accounts of to other systems, going
> along a chain, with the ultimate goal of gaining an account that has
> access to a major system. A reason to use separate passwords for each
> account that you have.

Too true. Running a VPN back to a secure network from an insecure
device is another such example, which I see all too often.

cheers,
Bob Edwards.