[clug] Intel Management Engine MINIX

Bryan Kilgallin kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 24 03:09:27 UTC 2019

Thanks, George:

> https://fossbytes.com/minix-worlds-most-popular-os-threat/
> “Intel takes the integrity of its products very seriously. Intel
> does not put back doors in its products nor do our products give Intel
> control or access to computing systems without the explicit permission
> of the end user,” he wrote in a blog post [1].

Surely if NSA wants a backdoor, it gets a backdoor!

> https://www.networkworld.com/article/3236064/servers/minix-the-most-popular-os-in-the-world-thanks-to-intel.html
>

> But here’s the crazy part: That’s not the only operating system
> you’re running.
>

> If you have a modern Intel CPU (released in the last few years) with
> Intel’s Management Engine [2] built in, you’ve got another
> complete operating system running that you might not have had any clue
> was in there: MINIX [3].

{Since 2008, most of Intel’s chipsets have contained a tiny homunculus
computer called the “Management Engine” (ME).}

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/05/intels-management-engine-security-hazard-and-users-need-way-disable-it

According to Wikipedia, my tower-PC's Intel Core 2 DUO CPU E4700 was
released in March 2008. And my laptop's Intel Core i5-@%@)M was released
in February 2011. So both include the ME.

{There are two places to disable AMT feature
1. In BIOS, Advance chipset Feature ->Intel AMT (Enabled,Disabled)
2.CTRL+P to go AMT Menu(Inte ME Control state(Enabled,Disabled)}

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-business-client-software-development/topic/285926

Unfortunately for both computers, I couldn't find that BIOS item, or get
control-P to work as above!
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/