[clug] how to get a foreign object out of a headphone socket

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Thu Feb 14 10:33:17 UTC 2019

"the bead vibrated out during the trip.  Phew."  - Great news
!  Good to hear.

On Thursday, 14-02-2019 at 21:05 Kim Holburn via linux wrote:

Just an update on this.

Thanks for the help.  In the end I didn't use any of your ideas or
mine.  My laptop was in my car during a long car trip and must have
been just the right way up or down and the bead vibrated out during
the trip.  Phew.

I looked in the laptop bag and realised it must have had a sachet of
dessicant beads that was in there since I bought the bag.  The
sachet had worn until it tore and the beads were released.  So I
emptied them all carefully out of the laptop bag so it doesn't happen
again.

> On 8/12/18 6:31 pm, Kim Holburn via linux wrote:
>> I went to plug in a headphone jack into my laptop today and it
wouldn't go all the way in.  There's something in there.  I try
various ways to look in the hole.  It requires a very small
light.  I thought it might be a bit of a headphone jack broken off,
but no, it's a dessicant bead.  Good and bad I suppose.  I was
thinking of some very fine pliers or forceps but I don't have
them.  It's a sphere so maybe I can use suction.  I found a spray
can with one of those little tubes.  The tube just fits in the
headphone socket.  I put the tube in and suck on it, I can feel when
it attaches to the bead but I can't seem to generate the suction
needed to get it right out past the electrodes.  I try general
suction with my vacuum cleaner but that doesn't work.  I think
modern headphone sockets are sealed.   I have a needle tool with a
very fine hook and with the light, I can see the bead rotating when I
push it with the needle, but can't pull it out.

>> I have thought of trying to crush the dessicant bead and using my
vacuum cleaner but I'm not sure how much force it would take to crush
it.  I wouldn't want to damage the socket or force the bead into the
inside of the laptop.

>> Any ideas?
>>

> --

Kim Holburn