[clug] [OT] book recommendations?

Luke Mewburn lukem-clug at mewburn.net
Thu Dec 26 05:22:28 UTC 2019

On 19-12-23 16:40, Mike Carden via linux wrote:
  | > Does anyone have favourites or recommendations for books of this type?
  | >

  | Well, it's not Rocket Science, but... wait, no... actually it is. The
  | brilliant 'Ignition' is freely available these days and is an informative
  | and at times hilarious history of the development of rocket engines, the
  | incredibly interesting fuels that make them possible and the at times
  | lunatic experimenters trying to figure out what works:
  |
  | https://library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf
  |
  | I think that Ignition is perhaps one of the inspirations for Derek Lowe's
  | brilliant series of articles under the title of 'Things I won't work with'.
  | Here's just one example from a search engine hit:
  |
  | https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride

I read about "Ignition" in this thread on Ars Technica, and came across
the "Things I won't work with" blog that Mike mentioned via
the comments section.

	https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/02/the-funniest-most-accessible-book-on-rocket-science-is-being-reissued

Another funny article is "Sand won't save you this time":

	http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2008/02/26/sand_wont_save_you_this_time

Luke.