[clug] [OT] book recommendations?

Steve Jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Tue Dec 24 01:27:02 UTC 2019

Mike,

Thanks very much, seems a cracker of a book - and well regarded in the tech world.

Found it on Hack-a-Day’s, along with others, as “Books you Should Read” below. [13 explicitly tagged, search finds others]

cheers
steve

> On 23 Dec 2019, at 16:40, Mike Carden <mike.carden at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Does anyone have favourites or recommendations for books of this type?
>
> Well, it's not Rocket Science, but... wait, no... actually it is. The brilliant 'Ignition' is freely available these days and is an informative and at times hilarious history of the development of rocket engines, the incredibly interesting fuels that make them possible and the at times lunatic experimenters trying to figure out what works:
>
> https://library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf <https://library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf>
>
> I think that Ignition is perhaps one of the inspirations for Derek Lowe's brilliant series of articles under the title of 'Things I won't work with'. Here's just one example from a search engine hit:
>
> https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride <https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride>
>
> --
> MC

<https://hackaday.com/tag/books-you-should-read/>

Exact Constraint: Machine design using kinematic principles
Designing Reality
Sunburst and Luminary, An Apollo memoir
The 3D Printing Handbook
V-2 by walter dornberger
The Cuckoo's Egg
Feynman's appendix to the Challenger Disaster Report
Ignition!
The Idea Factory
The Bridge [a new sci-fi book by Leonard Petracci]
Making a Transistor Radio
Learnabout Simple Electronics
The Hardware Hacker
Poorly Made in China
Engineer to Win by Carroll Smith
The Soul of a New Machine
Basic Electronics
The Annotated Build-it-yourself Science Laboratory
Instruments of Amplification
The Car Hacker's Handbook
Specifications you should read: The NASA Workmanship Standards

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)

mailto:sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au http://members.tip.net.au/~sjenkin