[clug] Ubuntu jerkiness

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Tue Dec 10 23:35:23 UTC 2019

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019, Elena Williams via linux wrote:

> https://askubuntu.com/questions/1195289/not-enough-free-disk-space-when-upgrading-prevention

> So to be clear: this is a different question -- I can clean up old images
> (though it's a tedious annoying waste of time, a range of ways (none of
> which are awesome) is presented here:
> https://linoxide.com/booting/remove-old-kernel-versions-boot-menu/).

Oddly, *something* in my Ubuntu installs does seem to take care of
removing old images for me.  Embarassingly, I really don't actually pay
all that much attention to what - but I *thought* it was just a simple
"apt-get autoremove" which did it for me...  I'm also in the "just one
partition" camp  on my desktops.

OK, I just learnt a little; /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal seems
to indicate you should end up with ~4 kernels in there.

> rc  linux-image-5.0.0-31-generic               5.0.0-31.33
>                 amd64        Signed kernel image generic

There does seem to be a lot of removed pacakges there and only a few
installed.

Do the installed kernels account for all of the space in /boot?

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.