[clug] Firefox browser ... collects data about you -There are different APIs and formats to collect data in Firefox

Chris Smart clug at csmart.io
Sat Dec 7 02:40:15 UTC 2019

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019, at 12:59, George at Clug via linux wrote:
> My paranoia triggered again. But maybe the data leakage is not that
> serious after all?

When you first start Firefox, it pops up a notification telling you that it's sending some information (See https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy/firefox/), with a link to turn it off if you want to. It's not opt-in by default which would be nicer, but at least they are up-front about it.

The setting is under about:preferences#privacy under "Firefox Data Collection and Use."

"We strive to provide you with choices and collect only what we need to provide and improve Firefox for everyone. We always ask permission before receiving personal information."

Also, this might be worth a read:

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2019/10/22/latest-firefox-brings-privacy-protections-front-and-center-letting-you-track-the-trackers/

-c