[clug] IP Surveillance Cameras Hardware and Software

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Aug 28 06:54:57 UTC 2019

On 28/8/19 4:28 pm, Keith Goggin via linux wrote:
> I'm interested in setting up a remote outdoor camera coupled to a 4G
> Modem/Router.
>
> It would be for 'surveillance' of a kind, the 'Snow Cam' kind.
>
> I'm happy to experiment with software packages and building a web page
> to display relevant data.
>
> As a starting point I need to select a camera suitable for the task.
>
> I'm considering the following cameras
>
> https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/21487 and
>
> https://www.dlink.com.au/business-solutions/DCS-4633EV-Vigilance-3MP-Day-Night-Outdoor-Vandal-Proof-Camera
>

> Cost/Performance trade off is an issue.
>
> Can any one advise a way forward.

Not a recommendation, and somewhat off-topic, but I purchased a
Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) outdoor camera from Jaycar a year or
so ago with the intent of making it work with Linux (comes with
a Windows app...).

Made some progress, running it inside VirtualBox and sniffing
the traffic to/from the camera, but a ways to go yet.

If anyone knows of any projects that may have gotten this working,
I would be keen to learn about it.

cheers,
Bob Edwards.