[clug] Storage and networking for Storage as used for supporting [Enterprise] virtualized environments

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Sun Aug 18 13:05:08 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 18-08-2019 at 21:56 Brett Worth wrote:
> George,
>
> I think you are mixing bits per second and byes per second in that list.
>  E.g the Ethernet numbers would be Gb/s and the SATA numbers would be
> MB/s.
>
> Brett

Brett,

I had been very careful to ensure that all numbers were converted to bytes of actual data transferred per second and not to use bits per second. Normally network speeds are quoted in 'bits transmitted per second' not 'actual data bytes per second'.

If anyone does find errors, please let me know.

Theoretical values tend to be specified, while I have been trying to determine actual data transfer speeds in byte per second B/s.

Interestingly NVMe  (M.2)  that provides local storage that is faster that most wired LANs, even 10GBASE-T.  It would be nice if my laptop could use NMVe, sadly only mSATA (a bit less than SATA III speeds)
https://www.ramcity.com.au/data-storage/internal-ssd/m.2-pcie/SSDPEKKW020T8X1
ntel 760P 2TB NVMe M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 80mm (2280) Internal SSD - 2TB  Specs: 3230MB/s Read, 1625MB/s Write • PCIe 3.0 x4, NVMe • 5 Years Warranty

I realised that I did not include Bluetooth, Wifi, and USB devices, so I am researching these too (but most values are stated in theoretical bits per second, and there is a huge variance due to configuration hence standard real world configurations will likely be on the lower end).

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005725/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html
Theoretical Values
Legacy 802.11      1 and 2 Mbps.
802.11b            1, 2, 5.5 and 11 Mbps.
802.11a            6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48 and 54 Mbps.
802.11g            6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48 and 54 Mbps; can revert to 1, 2, 5.5, and 11 Mbps using DSSS and CCK
802.11n		   72.2 Mbps ~ 450 Mbps
802.11ac wave1     200 Mbps ~ 866 Mbps
802.11ac wave2     200 Mbps ~ 1.73 Gbps
802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) 143 Mbps ~ 2.4 Gbps

802.11c Bridging 802.11 and 802.1d
802.11d Internationalization
802.11e Improving service quality
802.11f Roaming
802.11g  The 802.11g standard offers high bandwidth (54 Mbps maximum throughput, 30 Mbps in practice) on the 2.4 GHz frequency range.
802.11h  The 802.11h standard is intended to bring together the 802.11 standard and the European standard (HiperLAN 2,
802.11i  The 802.11i standard is meant to improve the security of data transfers
802.11Ir The 802.11r stadard has been elaborated so that it may use infra-red signals. This standard has become technologically obsolete.
802.11j  The 802.11j standard is to Japanese regulation what the 802.11h is to European regulation.

https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-the-actual-real-life-speed-of-wireless-374
Below is a breakdown of the various 802.11 WiFi standards and their corresponding maximum speeds. Theoretical wireless speeds (combined upstream and downstream) are as follows:
    802.11b      2-3 Mbps : Theoretical 11 Mbps (2.4GHz)
    802.11a       30 Mbps : Theoretical 54 Mbps (5 GHz)
    802.11g      ~20 Mbps : Theoretical 54 Mbps (2.4GHz)
    802.11n    40-50 Mbps : Theoretical 600 Mbps (2.4GHz and 5 GHz) - 150Mbps typical when not using bonding channels
    802.11ac 70-100+ Mbps : Theoretical 1300+Mbps (5 GHz) - newer standard that uses wider channels, QAM and spatial streams for higher throughput

https://community.arm.com/developer/ip-products/system/b/embedded-blog/posts/time-to-consider-zigbee-in-your-next-design-zigbee-vs-bluetooth-vs-wifi
Bluetooth  1 Mbit/s Range;10m

https://www.howtogeek.com/179803/usb-2.0-vs.-usb-3.0-should-you-upgrade-your-flash-drives/
USB 2.0 drives, which are at the bottom of the charts at between 7.9 MB/s to 9.5 MB/s in write speed.
The USB 3.0 drives they tested go from 11.4 MB/s all the way up to 286.2 MB/s.