[clug] USB to RS232 DB9 Adapter

Bryan Kilgallin kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 8 03:13:37 UTC 2019

Thanks, George:

> Thanks for providing me the extra information.

Your suggestions were sensible. I replaced the Polar interface box'
battery. But still the Polar software via DOSBox, fails to receive data
from the heart-rate wristwatch.

> I think setting up a physical DOS computer with a Serial Port might be the best solution, at least to verify the Polar Heart Rate devices are still all working well.

I had been meaning to put OS/2 onto an old 32 bit Dell PC. Practical
considerations intervene, like needing more furniture! I have a spare
monitor, but not an extra keyboard and mouse.

> Can the Palm PC use an external keyboard?

I used to have a PCMCIA modem--which must be buried in a storage box!

> I am guessing not, from what I could find on the Internet.

Wikipedia says that the PCMCIA association was dissolved in 2009!
Explaining Jaycar's negative search response for that keyword.

> I use a Linux PC that has a physical serial port (/dev/ttyS0), I have KVM installed and using virt-manager, I created and installed a DOS 6.2 Virtual machine which has a virtual serial port set to the physical serial port.

Ver reported that DOSBox uses DOS version 5.00.

> I have no DOS software in my DOS 6.2 virtual machine. Is there any utilities or methods in DOS 6.2 to use/test a COM1 or COM2 port? I tried msd but it never returns (i.e I think it hangs).
>
> Using "mode com1:48,n,8,1,p",  returned "COM1:  4800,n,8,1,p". When I removed the serial port from the DOS virtual machine, using "mode com1:48,n,8,1,p",  returned "Illegal device name - COM1".  So I am guessing the serial port is there in DOS.

DOSBox said that mode, msd and doskey were illegal commands!
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/