[clug] USB to RS232 DB9 Adapter

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Wed Aug 7 00:02:49 UTC 2019

Thanks to those who assisted. I also found this of interest.

I am now considering picking up one of these devices while they are still on the market.

Though I once used serial communications a lot, for many years now I have no need to do so.

I wonder what kind of devices exist today (i.e. that I might have) that I could connect to?

I think some you can connect to some network switches using serial ports?

On Wednesday, 07-08-2019 at 07:44 Alastair D'Silva via linux wrote:
> Pretty much all this information is covered in the first page of results from:
> https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+use+usb+serial+under+ubuntu
>
> There are also a few videos in the results which will probably be useful.

I will follow up on your suggestion.

> On 6 August 2019 11:26:37 pm AEST, Steve Walsh via linux <linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >On 6/8/19 11:20 pm, Bryan Kilgallin via linux wrote:
> >> I tried minicom, which gave this error.
> >>
> >> {
> >> minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyUSB0: Permission denied
> >> }
> >

> >I'm going to guess that if you ran something like "ls /dev/ttyUSB0",
> >you
> >would get information that help you further.
> >
> >$ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
> >crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Aug  6 23:22 /dev/ttyUSB0
> >
> >that would indicate that you either need to be root, or a member of the
> >
> >dialout group to access that device.
> >
> >So you can either add yourself to the dialout group, or run the command
> >
> >with 'sudo' to temporarily elevate your privileges while you use it.

I do not have a user account that uses sudo, I managed to get gtkterm working under root, but adding myself to dialout did not get me past the "Permission denied" error.

Later I will do more research.