[clug] Debugging mail delivery issues

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 00:30:21 UTC 2019

On 4/19/19 9:36 AM, jm via linux wrote:
> Or, my email is being misclassified as spam.
>
> This only happens with a few domains. Mostly those that use office365.
> Now, a couple of days ago I tried to email someone at canberra.edu.au,
> who seem use mimecast.com, and they didn't get my email. Looking at teh
> web site of the companies taht provide these services there doesn't seem
> to be anyway to talk hem to find out why and/or how to rectify the
> issue.  My email server is following all the rules as far as I can tell.
> I have an SPF record, but don't use dkim. It doesn't seem to be black
> listed by any public blacklist as far as I can tell.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

You don't 'need' DMARC, but you 'should' have DKIM - which you don't.
Hence your problems with mimecast.com, I'm surprised you haven't had
problems with runbox or gmx also.

Your SPF is good
(https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=spf%3aghostgun.com&run=networktools)

dig is a good tool for checking DNS records, as is mxtoolbox tools:-
https://mxtoolbox.com/NetworkTools.aspx

You may also find this useful:-
https://tecadmin.net/setup-dkim-with-postfix-on-ubuntu-debian/

> Jeff.